The Naim ND5XS is the streamer equivalent to the CD5XS. Fed from a good UPnP server, such as the Naim Core, UnitiServe, Innuos or Melco,even just a smart NAS this can give results easily as good as the CD5XS and potentially quite a bit better. It has the added bonus of access to higher resolution material up to 24 bit 192 khz.
It also covers internet radio, can access the music files on an iPod, play tracks from a memory stick and be controlled by an iPhone / iTouch or iPad device. It is running Naim’s latest software and only differs from the ND5XS BT in not having bluetooth installed. It’s fully compatible with multi-room ‘party mode’ operation.
The XP5XS and XPS DR power supplies bring substantial improvements.
This example dates to 2012. One owner, non-smoking. It comes double boxed with standard accessories: handset, Naim mains lead, grey DIN interconnect, burndy ‘bung’, and our full 12 month return to base warranty.
Condition is unmarked and it was traded in against a new Naim streamer. As with many units, the display was failing and we sent it to Salisbury for attention. It has just returned from a full Naim service which was more extensive than just fitting a new display. The odd blue edged appearence is because the protective foil is still on the new display.
Read review here.
£985 + £15 carriage
- UPnP-enabled to allow streaming of audio files at up to 24bit/192kHz resolution from Naim Audio hard disk servers, network-attached storage (NAS) devices or any home computer
- Supports a broad range of music formats: WAV, FLAC, DSD (single rate), Apple Lossless, AIFF, AAC, Windows Media-formatted files, Ogg Vorbis and MP3. Gapless playback on all lossless file formats and on most compressed music
- Three 24bit/192kHz capable digital inputs (S/PDIF) to support optimum connection to external sources
- Spotify Connect built-in to stream millions of songs from the world’s most popular streaming service
- Native support for TIDAL streaming service with free 90 day trial of lossless HiFi tier
- Front-panel USB port for replay of MP3 player and USB-stored audio
- vTuner 5* full-service internet radio
- Optional DAB+/DAB/FM radio module
- Multiroom & Party Mode compatible
- iOS and Android Naim Audio app for intuitive control
Technology & Craft
Like the NDX, the ND5 XS is one of the most technically advanced and accomplished of all Naim Audio products. The use of numerous innovative techniques for electronic signal processing and isolation ensure that each digital audio data stream is delivered to the ND5 XS outputs with maximum fidelity. The ND5 XS uses the same RAM buffer and master-clock jitter removal technique of the Naim Audio DAC and all the oversampling, filtering and signal management techniques that have brought Naim Audio to the forefront of digital music in the home.
And the result of all this extraordinary technology is extraordinary music reproduction. Connect an ND5 XS to your existing audio system and the world of high resolution audio downloads, UPnP streaming, and the vast resource of internet radio are yours for the listening. And it’s a world where music from any source will live, breath and satisfy – completely.
Please note: only current “Classic” style XPS power supplies can be used with the ND5 XS. Older “Olive” style XPS units are incompatible and cannot be used.
||3 x S/PDIF: – 1 x coaxial BNC – up to 24bits/192kHz – 1 x coaxial RCA – up to 24bits/192kHz – 1 x optical TOSLINK – up to 24bits/96kHz
||1 x front panel Type A socket
||Wi-Fi (802.11 g or n at 2.4GHz
||Wired Ethernet (RJ45) or Wi-Fi
||1 x BNC (75Ω)
||1 x DIN and 1 x RCA, 2.1V RMS at 1 kHz
||10Hz – 20kHz, +0.1/−0.5dB
|THD + N
||<0.02%, 10Hz – 20kHz at full level
||Infra Red (RC5)
||1 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated and unmodulated)
||2 x rear panel 3.5mm jack (RC5 modulated or unmodulated)
||1 x USB Type Mini-B
||WAV (up to 24bit/192kHz)AIFF (up to 24bit/192kHz)FLAC (up to 24bit/192kHz) DSD (single rate DSF64 & DFF64 only)ALAC (up to 24bit/96kHz) WMA (up to 16bit/48kHz) must be WMA 9.2 Ogg Vorbis (up to 16bit/48kHz) M4a (CBR and VBR up to 320kbit/s)MP3 (CBR and VBR up to 320kbit/s)Playlists (M3U, PLS)
|Internet Radio Provider
||vTuner 5* full service
||Master: Will stream WAV, FLAC and AIFF (up to 24bit/48kHz), ALAC (up to 16bit/44.1kHz), AAC and MP3 (up to 16bit/48kHz) files only as MP3 320kbps quality.